The summer school holidays may be at an end but the hot weather we have been experiencing is going to be around for at least another couple of months. This is going to mean that ten of thousands of Australian families will continue to enjoy time on the water.
The Queensland water police and Seqwater have come up with a novel way to remind people to stay safe on the water while still having fun.
This week Seqwater launched its #Safety competition that encourages participants to take a selfie while playing it safe. A Seqwater spokesman said the safety of everyone using Seqwater’s dams, lakes and parks was a top priority. And while there’s a serious side to safety they also want you to have fun.
So next time you’re out having fun boating, fishing, paddling, swimming or camping, take a Selfie of you playing it safe or invite your friends, family or team mates to join in the fun and send the photo to the Seqwater website. http://www.seqwater.com.au/
The competition, which is in its second year, will run until the beginning of March, with one lucky entrant crowned “The Ultimate #Safety Star” and winning a $5000 gift card from BCF. They will also become the face of Seqwater’s Easter safety campaign.
For some #safety inspiration you can visit the gallery of entries already received and remember Seqwater’s top tips for playing it safe:
- Always wear a lifejacket while on the water
- Only swim in the designated swimming areas
- Always watch your children near the water – remember there are no lifeguards on duty
- Plan ahead and ensure you have sunscreen and plenty of water
- Carry a first aid kit and be aware of local wildlife, such as snakes
- Check online before you leave the house, especially BOM and Seqwater’s interactive map.